Thursday, December 12, 2013

2013 Christmas Letter

“Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.”  Isaiah 7:14

Merry Christmas 2013!!  This year has involved a lot of change, but some things have remained the same.
January – yep, basketball season.  Teagan made the 8th grade team and I love watching her play.  Brandon, Teagan and Erin were involved in the Orchestras at their respective schools and in LifeGroups at church.  I ran the Goofy Challenge at Disney World with my friend Sabrina.  That’s a half-marathon on Saturday and a full marathon on Sunday - 39.3 miles through all 4 parks and many places in between. It was AWESOME!!  Brandon turned 15 – only one more year until he can drive!  J

February – Erin played league volleyball to get ready for 7th grade tryouts in the fall.  Everyone had weekly music lessons.  Brandon had a date to the Sadie Hawkins dance at school – seems like he ALWAYS has a date these days.  I’m trying to decide if I should be concerned or not!  Brandon and Teagan ran the Rhythm & Blues 5K while I ran the half-marathon - set a new Personal Record (PR)! 

March – Cullen turned 10!  Double Digits!  For Spring Break, Brandon got his wisdom teeth removed.  It was really the only downtime in his schedule! He lived on nutrition shakes for a week but recovered well.  Teagan started AAU basketball and Brandon did off-season football and worked on his bass solo for UIL (he got a “2”.)  I spent a week in L.A. for more job training.

April – AAU tournament games began, taking up a LOT of time on the weekends. Brandon and I started back into triathlon training and did the No Label triathlon.  We each won first place in our age divisions!  Erin turned 12 and started wearing contacts, which are safer for sports and helped a lot with her ability to see the ball in volleyball.  After having a lot of trouble getting along in school for the past several years, we finally took Cullen to a psychologist, who recommended a psychiatrist, who prescribed Ritalin and an anti-depressant.  I’ve fought against medication for many years, but decided to give it a try under the circumstances.  It has made a HUGE positive difference for him!  I really do wish I had pursued this course of action sooner for him!

May – Swim practice started the first week in May.  I went with Teagan on the Jr. High Orchestra Spring Trip to Fiesta Texas, where once again, Cinco Ranch JH bands and orchestras took home ALL the trophies!!  Erin, Teagan and I formed a relay team for the TriGirl Super-Sprint Triathlon and won first place!!  It was Erin’s first open water swim – 200m on a choppy lake and she swam it like a true competitor!  Teagan completed the 2mi. run at an impressive pace!  School ended with a flurry of concerts, tryouts, competitions, tournaments, auditions and the Behrens Bass Studio Recital, where the Settle Quartet made their debut with a piece arranged by Sabrina Behrens for bass, cello, viola and violin.  It’s on YouTube. J  The kids finished 9th, 8th, 6th and 4th grades. 

June – Swim meets and summer camps.   Brandon, Teagan and Erin swam at Meet of Champs, had a great time at Kamp Kingsland with the student ministry and attended sports camps to get ready for fall tryouts.  Cullen did tennis and golf camps.  I got laid off from L.A. Turbine at the end of June.  I was shocked, but was already looking for another job and ramped up my efforts to 100%.

July – Brandon went to Chicago, Teagan to Waco and Erin to Houston on mission trips with the student ministry and had wonderful experiences. Teagan still had ongoing weekend AAU tournaments.  Brandon competed at the Shadow Creek tri in Pearland and finished third in his age group at Jeff & Brede’s triathlon in Katy.  July is also where the wheels came off. For reasons I don’t want to share in a Christmas letter, and after much prayer and counseling, I filed for divorce on July 5th.  Stressful summer – uh, YEAH!

August – Two good job offers came in and I started with Zurich on the 19th with training in Schaumburg, IL.  I’m back to Risk Engineering consulting, which I love!  School started, Teagan was the last cut from volleyball tryouts and was the Freshman A-Team manager all season.  Brandon played sophomore football and his team went undefeated!!  In the average week, we have 3 music lessons, volleyball and football games, LifeGroups and church.  I now have two in high school, one in Jr. High and am in the LAST year of elementary at a school we opened just 10 years ago.  I cannot WAIT for next year when they’ll all be on ONE campus!! 

September – Teagan turned 14!  Brandon, Teagan and I ran in the church’s Just Run for a Just Cause.  That race awoke my passion for running just four years ago and has a lot of meaning for me.  I went to Cranston, RI for training at Tyco’s fire lab – cool stuff!  Erin auditioned for the school musical and played one of Ariel’s sisters in The Little Mermaid.  Brandon, Teagan and Sabrina formed a relay team and I competed individually at the Katy Triathlon at Firethorne.  It was rainy, but we had fun!

October – Per the September mediation, Robert finally moved out.  It was rocky with everyone getting used to weekends at dad’s place.  Grades suffered and stress ran high.  Brandon earned first chair in the 2nd group for Region Orchestra, made Area and recorded for All-State, where he ranked #100 bass state-wide.  Definite improvement over last year!  J  Brandon and I competed in the Oktoberfest duathlon (swim cancelled due to weather) – I placed second and Brandon first in our respective age groups!  YEAH!

November – Sabrina, Eileen (new tri friend!) and I formed a relay for the Oilman Texas 70.3 tri on Lake Conroe – we JUST missed the podium, placing 4th, but each had a good race.  If that half-marathon were stand-alone, I would have had a PR!  Brandon played in the Region Orchestra concert and Cullen attended a fun robotics camp.  Teagan and Erin each made the school basketball teams (T plays guard and E plays post) and are having as much fun playing as I am, watching!  Thanksgiving was a little different – the kids were with their dad and I spent part of the day with my parents and the rest of the weekend just getting stuff done.  It was good and productive, just not as fun or restful as I would have liked.  But I’m learning how to be myself again, which is great.

December – Sabrina and I did our 4th RunGirl 13.1.  It was a misty 37°F at the start!  I set a new PR at 2:05.  Still trying to break 2:00 this season with 2 (or maybe 3) races left.  We shall see! In general, life is good, the kids are doing well, my new job is great and I have the love and support of friends and family.  That brings us to present, meaning the Christmas letter will go out on time! 

Keep Christ first in your hearts, minds and actions this Christmas!

Love, Donna, Brandon, Teagan, Erin and Cullen

No comments:

Post a Comment